Friday, January 25, 2013

Blogging for Dummies

Now that I have been blogging for a little while I have found that I need some inspiration to write and today I am feeling really really inspired. So lets talk about something.... Books for Dummies, I have thoughts.

I was at Barnes and Noble quite recently and as I walked through the aisles of what is typically considered a "decent" bookstore I noticed a startling trend. There is a company that has turned some of the most complicated concepts into a task for DUMMIES. After doing a little research let me give you a little example of some "For Dummies" titles that you could pick up if you are so possessed.
There a literally hundreds of these books. As I browsed the different aisles (I was in the market for a book for studying for the GMAT, the entrance exam to business school, and since it took me a while to find the type of book I was looking for I probably spotted no less then 30 books for dummies while I trolled the aisles with my typical vanilla latte.)

Don't get me wrong, I get that the self help book industry is a billion-dollar industry and the only reason so many different types of these books is that they are purchased and used by somebody...but plu-sease some of these are just crazy.

Here are some more examples of books that I think are absolutely crazy.

Pretty sure Neuro-Linguistic Programing is a pretty complicated topic, there is a chance that if you are learning it from this book, I think you probably don't really need to be practicing it.... OK Sex for dummies, no lie dummies have been figuring out how to have sex on their own for centuries without the help of any book, so I have a hard time not deeming this book as irrelevant.
 
 HAHAHAH both of these books make me giggle. I hope the book about surviving the holidays simples says, "open bottle of wine when things get bad"= TADA I just wrote the entire book.
Hermit crabs, really?? I had a hermit crab as a kid and I am pretty sure they are the easiest pet in history to own. I feel like this whole book might a total waste.
 
Beekeeping seems scary and I am pretty sure a book does not give you all the skills necessary to keep bees alive and not kill yourself in the process, this is just a observation. Literally if you saw somebody in half because you read it in a book you are a legitimate dummy.
Welding requires actual flame so I believe this falls into the category of Beekeeping and Magic= not the kind of thing you can learn in a book called "for dummies"... This is a book that I found fitting I typically consider DJing a "for dummies" activity to begin with so this book seems appropriate.
Pretty sure the people who have spent years and hundreds of dollars improving their golf swings wish they had found this earlier.... what a shame.

Welcome to my world... now you know how I feel about some very important topics.

1 comment:

  1. "OK Sex for dummies, no lie dummies have been figuring out how to have sex on their own for centuries without the help of any book" <- read it out loud to my coworkers. Funny funny hilariously funny my friend. Hahahahahahahaa I need all these books so I can get my smarts.

    ReplyDelete