Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Happy New Year All... yeah I know I am a little late to the 2013 Party but it has been a fairly busy week so I am just now getting around to it. Hope everybody wrapped up a great year and I for one am really excited to see what is on the horizon for this year.

Now down to business:

Let me give you all a little background info:
Patrick and I have two cats and a dog living in the house right now. The oldest of the bunch, Storm (Stormy if she likes you) she has a bit of devious streak. See she doesn't much like it when she is sitting on a table or chair if there is anything on the table or chair with her. She feels so strongly about this that she will often knock this "delinquent" items onto the floor when they "look at her funny" 

Picture it, our house, about a month ago. Patrick and I were cleaning up our kitchen. This involved pulling things out of the cabinets and reorganizing things. One of the things that we pulled out was a beautiful Lenox serving platter that was a wedding gift from my grandmother and late aunt. I kept in it's box with paper wrapping to keep it safe. (Turns out this was a fruitless attempt) Apparently putting the serving platter on the table for safe keeping didn't suit ol Stormy so she gave that box a quick swipe and managed to shatter my beautiful dish.... cue tears

Not too long after that Patrick suggested we take the shards of my platter and turn it into something else beautiful. So with a little planning we did just that.


It really wasn't even that hard to make.

  1. Picked up some other plates from Walmart and Patrick and I smashed them with a hammer. (We needed lots and lots of pieces.)
  2. Purchased a good piece of wood as the backboard.
  3. We did a test run and placed on the pieces to see how it would look.... We loved it
  4. Then we slathered some plaster on the wood and started resetting the pieces in the plaster and let it dry (took like a whole day, so I had to leave it alone for a while)
  5. After it was dry Patrick grouted the cracks between the pieces and then let it dry again.
  6. After that he built the frame around it and hung it on the wall.
I love it so much and I invite you all over to take a look at it.


1 comment:

  1. I think this was a brilliant idea. It looks awesome and you now have a new keepsake from your gma and aunt.

    BAD STORM. Not stormy because I don't like you much after this story. :P

    ReplyDelete