Sunday, May 8, 2011

The 90s were AWESOME!

I was born in 1982 and if you do that math correctly you will discover that I turned 18 in 2000. While it might seem totally cliche to say, the world was a totally differant place back then. The biggest reason for this is. THE 90'S WERE AWESOME! I totally "came of age" during this time and there was a ton to like about it.
1. New Kids on The Block hit their stride in the early 90's (It should be noted that I have been a huge fan ever since and can say with pride that I have Step by Step on my Ipod and Ipad... circa 1991)

2. The biggest fear most of us had was the impending doom that Y2K was about to bring.
Anita and I weren't scared
3. Counting Crows... nuf said, Mr. Jones has been my favorite song since 1993 and will likely continue to be for many years to come.
4. Nickelodeon, I am not talking about regular Nick TV I am talking about old school classics Salute Your Shorts and Hey Dude these shows were fabulous and if you were not watching you are totally out of the loop. If you are in your late 20's and you were raised in the the US and blessed enough to have cable you will think of these shows fondly.

5. Trapper Keepers these were basically the precurser to the Blackberry for most of us. The trapper keeper was organized, cleaver, and stylish. My whole life (aka school work) was held hostage in the trapper keeper when I was in school similar to my Blackberry while working now. 
6. My parents bought their first cell phone. If you have never seen a cell phone that had a cord and lived in a bag resembling a shoe box. You are missing out. The first cell phones were huge. I guess they should have been called car phones. But there were amazing, for the first time you could call your parents when they were out on the town partying and ask them for a slur-pie/chicken nuggets/clear pepsi/ etc. 

7. The Hoff- I have been a lifeguard for the better part of my life so obviously I have a soft spot in my heart for David Hasslehoff, but I will save that for another post. The important thing to remember here is that Baywatch was on and it was great. (side note Walker Texas Ranger was another landmark show of this decade. Upon request I can sing you both theme songs and this is a skills I am proud of.)

8. Clueless- This is a fabulous movie, it mixed so many wonderful things it is hard to put into words, but since this is a blog I will give it a shot. Paul Rudd, fun clothes, catch phases, whatever, The Mighty Mighty Bosstones, computers to pick out my clothes. I loved this movie so much I wanted to be Cher.

The 90s had a sense of freedom like we were all about to have to grow up or something. The music was great, the movies were fun, dressing "up" could mean a nice plaid shirt, you could still get into Canada with just a drivers license, and there are so many cool things I could say. What am I missing, what is your favorite 90s things?

Bethany side note of the day: Bethany has a awesome mom, Elfie she is a real sweetie and I hope she has a great day. 




3 comments:

  1. 1) Salute your shorts was THE BEST
    2) The Hoff was not
    3) Yayyyy ELFIE!!!! Happy mom's day to her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's crazy how different things are now. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Jones is my favorite song too! I too was and still am in love with Clueless...I was in 7th grade in 2000, so it took me years to realize all the sex and drug use...I had awesome parental supervision obviously. I still have it on dvd...have you seen Tony and Michelles high school reunion? You'd love it.

    ReplyDelete