Monday, August 20, 2012

Kristin/Patrick and the In-Laws in the City Pt 1

While I may have spent the last 7 years of my life living in very rural Rockingham Co Va, I would really consider myself more of a city kinda gal.  Of all the cities in the world, I love love love love love New York. My mother is from Philadelphia and most of her family is based in either Long Island or Pittsburgh and over the years we have spent a lot of time in the city site seeing and just generally tooling around. So when the idea came up to plan a quick trip up north to see a show came up, obviously I was ready to pack my bags.

My husband is one of the smartest, worldly, down to earth people on the planet, so he doesn't always believe in splurging on a vacation. But he is also a movie fan and one of his favorite movies from when he was a kid was Newsies.

If you are lucky enough to remember this movie (PS it was released in 1992) you will know that it is awesome, stars a young Christian Bale, the singing and dancing is awesome.... and I owned it on VHS!!!!
Last year while watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, I learned that Newsies was playing on Broadway for a limited run. I immediately started begging my husband to let us go. Early in the spring my in-laws, Patrick, and I finally nailed down plans to explore the city. So we went, we booked tickets on the train destination NYC. So here is the rundown of our adventures in the city.

Come On Ride It Train:

When my mother-in-law (she will furthermore be known as MIL) suggested taking the train so we wouldn't have to drive I thought it was a great idea, parking in the city is a disaster and we both have new cars so clearly we didn't want to risk messing them up in the city.

I was kinda envisioning something very white glove and classy. You can imagine my disappointment that nobody greeted me with gloves and a top hat and no table clothes on the tables. I am not saying that the Amtrak was awful in fact I would say it was very similar to being on a airplane which I have done about a 1000 times. The neat part about riding the train as opposed to flying is that you get to go through cities and see landmarks you would never see from the air. Also as opposed to flying where you are forced to turn off your awesome electronics you get to keep them on... the WHOLE time!!! I read and played on my IPAD the whole way. Talk about a upside..... The Train Rocked!

Overall I think the train was way cool, and I would definitely be up for another ride anytime.

Next on on the blog train: First came the rain, then came the show


2 comments:

  1. I'm still making you take me to NYC. I'm jeals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never been to NYC. I want to do Tmes Square for NYE. I want to go to Broadway. Wwaahhhh

    ReplyDelete