Saturday, August 18, 2012

Pardon My Soapbox Rant

"Sometimes in life the proper thing to do is to sit back and let other people worry about problems."
- A wise old man

My parents taught me that if you can't say anything nice, don't bother saying anything at all. This is pretty good advise but at a point I can no longer sit back and hold my tongue. You see if have had some thoughts on my mind for a while that I just haven't been able to move through. There are some issues that are not worth commenting on issues like:
  • The Chik-filet debacle: I love chicken and the whole thing is a mess. Nuff said!
  • Politics: Do you really want me to stand on my soapbox and tell you how I think the country would be. Heck no. God bless the people that want to run this county, as long as I get to keep running my little pool. I got no problems. Plus what do I know, I voted for Nader in 2000 (I mean the man did bring us seat belts standard in all cars, the guy is a lifesaver....literally)
But I quite frankly am tired of seeing E-cards, constantly every time I get on to any social media website. I mean I get them, they are snarky, and cleaver, and they show fancy people dressed up as aristocrats and they are saying abnoxious things. And truth be said I have laughed at more then a few of these little cards. But I am over it.

I believe the real change came the day Facebook purchased Instagram for 1 billion dollars. All of the sudden Pinstrest needed a way to compete so almost instantly these pictures started going up, and they are everywhere. At this point I believe I have read a E-card about everything.

Let me walk you though the lifecycle of the E-card experience:
  1. Girl chilling on the Pintrest
  2. Girl spots cleaver E-card
  3. Girl realises that this particiular E-card was made for her and her besties
  4. Girl posts said E-card on her facebook and tags all her besties on it.
  5. E-card is spotted and reposted by 15,385 other girls experiencing the same feeling. 
I guess the thing that bothers me most about the eCard phenomenon is that I acutally like seeing my friends pictures. (not just because I am a Facebook/Twitter stalker) I like seeing my friends from long ago's children and vacation. And I hate it when the whole newsfeed is clogged up with snarky pictures somebody thought was cleaver.

Moral of the story: Post more pictures of your cute kids and vacations... I love them!

2 comments:

  1. Now all I want to do is tag you in the ecards! However, they are out of control some days. Other days, I'm like, yeah that's the RHH. Love you ma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our kids might be cute but be honest.....you're sick and tired of our posts about potty training, each and every accomplishment and cute thing our kid just said and did, and our freaking out at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete