Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Major Car Trouble

I have had a long and sorted history with vehicles. Lets do the math I am 28 and I got my learners permit on my 15th birthday so I have been driving a vehicle for 13 years. (That seems like a very long time, I can't possibly be that old.)

Lets review the highlights/low-lights of my lifetime of driving.
These are the rock-star vehicles that got me through high school. The van had some pretty exciting features, the ignition for example was broken and no longer required a key to start, if you turned the ignition without a key the engine turned on and purred like a grizzly bear. Also I learned a lot about how to jump start a vehicle from the van. One last cherished moment about the van, by friend Suset glued quarters to the ceiling, my dad got really mad yet we never removed the quarters.
Then there was the "little blue twuk" as my mother affectionally referred to it. This is the vehicle that I got stuck in the snow when my parents were out of the country and I was driving around in the snow when I wasn't supposed to. Also this is the vehicle that I tried to drive down to visit my then boyfriend (now husband) with by racing the snow to Ferrum... ended up pulling over and knocking on a random door because it would drive no further. I could have been killed by crazies, but I met a very nice couple that I still send Christmas cards to. (My parents could be pretty mad about this genius decision on my part, so lets not tell them.) Needless to say I am not a awesome driver in the snow.
A few years passed by with no real out of the normal vehicle excitement. I drove a Volvo station wagon (because I am that cool, sadly no pictures) I got to experience what a sunroof was like. With a little luck in life I might get another one someday. There is still a soft place in my heart for that Volvo.

Then this happened....
TOTAL BUMMER!!!
But for the last several years I have driven this sweet moonbeam around... I like to refer to it simply as "the Saturn"

The Saturn also has some interesting features... Raise your hand if your vehicle does not possess POWER-STEERING. (Anyone? didn't think so) Now raise your hand if your vehicle does not possess CRUISE CONTROL. (Anyone? again didn't think so) The service engine light used to just come on when I went over speed bumps but it has been been on now for the last couple of years. I like to think that if the service engine light goes off, the electric just burned out... (this can happen note previous pic) The saturn and I have been through some good times and I love it dearly. A couple of month ago I thought that maybe somebody might have dinged my right side because my side light was not looking quite right. Yesterday my worst fears were confirmed when it comes to my bumper. I accidentally pulled up on the curb when arriving at work and when I back off the curb my bumper stayed with it..... now it looks like this... please note the bungee holding up the bumper, this is a sure sign of classiness. Patrick says it is super fixable so I will keep you updated.

Life is quite an adventure..... safe driving all

Bethany side-note of the day: Bethany's middle name is Gene... she is named after our grandfather


4 comments:

  1. Wait, is that THE explorer that caught on fire or one you googled?!

    You have had some doozies for cars, I'm buying you a porsche when I hit the lotto.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that pictures was us... sucks... what you don't see is me on the other side of the road crying beside all our stuff

    I guess all those crazy pictures from google have to come from somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to scrounge pics of the original goo cruiser and my llumina. Jess and I were super cool and popular in high school...I know you're jealous

    I wish there was a pic of you and the stuff. Would have been mean at the time, but classic now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Car fire? No bueno. I've only owned 3 cars total. An '89 Oldsmobile, a '98 Sebring convertible and an '08 Popntiac G6 convertible. I'm shopping for car number 4 presently....I feel a Mustang might be in my future.

    ReplyDelete